Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Purple Passion



Well, it has been a few days since my last post. I desire to not let my blog go for more than a week without a post. Even if I have to make some crap up or post my UFO's (now there's some reading material)...I will prevail. Above you will find the F.O. of the month. I really don't know why this one decided to squat in my sewing room for so long. I guess it liked the atmosphere. I tried very hard to run it off, but you know how it is when you are nice to runaways.

The way that this purple batik beauty came to be is this: I found a pattern that I wanted to try called ''Sweet Dreams'' by Tiffany Burrow from McCall's Quilting magazine August 2001. The opportunity knocked when Melissa Picha of Mt. Calm, TX wanted a quilt top for one of her rooms at her retreat establishment called Compass Centre. I figured that I could make this quilt top to practice the pattern. It was perfect. I wasn't going to fall in love with it because purple is my least favorite color....WRONG. This is the only project that I have ever done for someone else that made me sick to my stomach to send away. I cannot say that I completed a U.F.O. exactly since I am now collecting aqua batiks to do it all over again, but in a teal, aqua, and turquoise color scheme. Great. Just great. That will take another 2 years. Not because it is a difficult pattern (super easy), but because I now have to put it behind all of my other projects.



You can see that it is on the cover, but the colors are so very different. I had to turn the pattern sideways and double it top to bottom to make it into a full/queen size. I also drafted the outer border to get it to measure 81''x 106''. I just hope that I can somehow inherit that quilt....I would have to do a lot of dishes at the Compass Centre to even get my foot in the door on that one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just finished Sweet Dreams using Cat in the Hat fabric. A lady asked me to make it. What would you charge for piercing it?