Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Sleep with a Quilt and a Gun

While at retreat, I finished a quilt top for a friends baby. I still need to sandwich it together, quilt it, and bind it; so it really isn't done yet. I wanted to make sure that it would be O.K. to give to a girl or a boy. I hope that I made that happen. I have always wanted to do a plaid churn dash, so here was my chance. I ran to my nearest friendly neighborhood thrift store and bought up an arm full of men's button down cotton plaid shirts. Then I started cutting away. I liked it so much when I got the top done, that I decided that I am going to make a replica for myself; except with appliqued plaid flowers around in the brown area. Working with men's dress shirts is kind of like working with batiks. They have a tighter weave and a crisp feel to them. The thing that I love the most about them is that you cannot find these in a quilt store. I don't have anything against quilt stores (of course!), but it is sometimes a little bit of a downer when you see that the lady that sits up front at all of the guild meetings is now showing off an award winning quilt starring the same exact Moda currently in your quilt that has not even seen the quilting frame yet. All right, this never happened to me...but I wake in cold sweats all of the time worrying that someone out there is stealing my Hoffman idea right out of my sleep. Really, what am I worried about anyway? It isn't like the sweet ol' quilter down the way is now parked in my driveway with binoculars trying to get a glimpse of my quilt. I think that I would have to win a ribbon or two before I get all hoity-toity with my 'rare' churn dash design. Maybe a double-knit polyester Baltimore album quilt would be the way the go...you gotta admit it...who the hell else would take on such a moronic, foolish, and pointless endeavor?

8 comments:

Gina said...

I love the quilt and it will look great with the applique in the setting triangles.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Kathy said...

Very cool quilt. Perfect for either a boy or a girl.

I was thinking that the replica was going to be for a good friend....you know....someone you love.....name starts with a "K"....hehehehehehehe

Rhonda said...

Love the quilt and your sense of humor is too funny. Don't look now but I see a non-descript car parked outside your window.....LOL
Take care.

Tonya said...

Gorgeous quilt! I can't wait to see the one you do for yourself!

Huggs & stitches,

Tonya

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

I love this post and the this quilt. You are so smart to go to the thrift store for these great plaids. Other should know!! I have to give you an award for this one!! Go to Molly's Place and see what ya got! Hope you can play. I know you don't have spare time, but it's fun!!

JaneR said...

I found you via "quilting bloggers"--you were featured on the random list of 4 at the bottom of that site. --Kind of like Russian roulette!..and your blog is a winner for me! I want to implement your plan for working on 4 projects at a time once I get myself away from reading random quilting blogs!

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

Monica--just checking on you. Haven't heard from you in a while. I know you are doing something wonderful. Can't wait to see.

Kath said...

Girl! You crack me up! Oh - and the replica Kathy is talking about. . . I think the person she is talking about you giving it to - first name begins with the letter "K" - that would be "Kathleen"! HeHeHeHeHe

Love you girl! Your work is wonderful!
Kathleen