Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Quilting Statue of Liberty


I would like to go to a quilt show. Yes, I have been to Houston. But I would like to go to a quilt show where the quilts are made and used by human beings. I really do not want to ruffle any feathers here or give anyone the impression that I don't genuinely appreciate the talent, work, time, money, etc. etc. etc. that goes into making a 'best of show' quilt; but I really am a lot more grounded than that. I have seen some of these best of show quilts, and quite frankly; I have mixed emotions about the whole deal. On one hand, if there should be art, this is the kind of art that not only holds my attention, but is something that is beyond words in beauty. In other words, quilts are my favorite kind of art to appreciate. No question. On the other hand, the hand that bleeds from hand quilting, hand piecing, and building shelves to hold fabric; I have to say:


WHERE ARE THE QUILTS?


I want and need to see a traditional quilt win something. It has to have under 1 billion stitches per square inch. It has to have two, maybe three, colors to it. It cannot have any applique anywhere on it or it is disqualified for being "showy'. It has to be made by someone who actually has grandchildren ( grandchildren who have one of her quilts and drags it around where ever they go), it has to have a 'humble block', it cannot be perfectly square, it has to have a mistake in it somewhere and that mistake has to be notated on the information card, it has to have a wave at the bottom when hung, and most importantly, it actually has to drape when displayed on a bed. If it is stiff as cardboard from the quilting and sizing, it needs to be omitted from the show completely. this quilt needs to have pictures submitted with the application showing it actually being used as a quilt being slept under. That is what I want to see. If I had any grandchildren, I am sure that I would have one quilt (or two) in that show for other human quilters to appreciate.


So fellow quilters, I say this: Show me your worn, your seam-ripped, your faded, show the huddled masses yearning to breathe free! I lift my rotary cutter in salute to you!


10 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

There's a small town about 30 miles from me that has, once a year, a Quilt and Crystal Show. Yep. Mt. Ida, Arkansas has an abundence of crystals that folks come and dig up so they show those off. And they have lots of old time quilters. Now don't get me wrong they do some beautiful and intricate quilts. But mostly they're just our grandmothers doing what grandmothers have always done - and it's wonderful to see. blessings, marlene

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love your post. I was actually just thinking about art quilting. Everyone is different, I know. But for me, I want my quilts to warm someone, to be snuggled under, to be obviously used. I do appreciate the art quilts and I love looking at them, but they're just not my "style".

Rhonda said...

Amen sister!. I was just saying to me wacky friends that it has been years since I've seen a Lone Star quilt. We have gotten so competitive trying to out-do one another that we have forgotten the simple love of making quilts.

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

I make what I like--and it is just an honor to have someone like what I do enough to want to sleep under it! Mostly my family fights over mine. I love it--I don't go to Houston anymore and this is mostly why. Way out of my league. Thanks for a great post.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree. None of my quilts are perfect and I really don't care how many points I lose. I wish I could d a better job saving some of the points but that is not that important. I would also rather see hand quilting. I like the look of machine quilting but after a while that all looks the same. I hand quilt everything I make. I have begun piecing by machine just because it is faster.

Karen in IN
merrylittlequilter.blogspot.com

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

Monica--Visit my blog--you have an award.

Rhonda said...

Hey Monica, I just selected your blog as one of the coolest. Congratulations! All you have to do is pop over to my blog, copy & paste the "Butterfly Award" which means you are so cool. Next link back to me and maybe choose some blogs that you think are cool.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

There is a quilt show in
Columbia MO this weekend. It's usually awesome. Wanna meet me there?
Osagebluffquilter

linda said...

Hi Monica, I must agree with you. Going to a local show is more gratifying than visiting a national show. You can look at the quilts there, and think, "Gosh, that's beautiful. I can do that!" A person couldn't sleep under one of those "art quilts" for fear of suffocation. (or waking up with a crystal up your nose!!) Happy Thanksgiving! ;>)

Washer Mom Val said...

http://kansas.mccsale.org/

Go to the quilt section of this web. EVERY year thousands of people rush to the Hutchinson State Fair Grounds in early April to sit and watch quilts sell by auction. These are made by REAL women, mothers, grandmothers...I know, I have a "Grandma" that makes one for them every year.