Friday, May 9, 2008

Goodbye, baby Connor


I am losing my baby. Connor turns 2 today, so technically he is not a baby anymore. He is a male though, so he will, in, fact always be a baby, just a bigger one. Yesterday was his last day as a real baby. I held him so hard that I think his eyes look bigger today. Twice he had out of the blue kissed me and said 'yuvoo, mama' and gave me a hug with a pat on the back. It is kinda funny to feel him pat me on the back. His little arms try to reach way around to do it. I wish that I could just record everything like this. While Connor and I had a mommy/son lunch today, I got to talking with an older lady at the next table. She was quite taken with Connor and asked how old he is. I told her that it was his 2nd birthday today. She said that she never had children and loves being around them when they are young. She said that it must get very tiring though. I told her that having children is like having a swimming pool in your backyard. They cost a lot of money to acquire and maintain. They are very hard to keep clean. They leak when you least expect it. In short, they require a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. But the times that you have fun with them after utter exhaustion, the memories that you collect from all of the celebrations, or being able to enjoy them as a family or all alone...make all of the hard work worth it. I recommend that everyone get a pool for their backyard...even if it is just a kiddie pool.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Happy Birthday Connor!

Kath said...

Yes! Happy Birthday Connor! I can relate to the lady with no kids - that's me. I, too, love them between the age of 10 months to about 10 years. Then they get to smart for me to converse with!
BTW - I'll keep those grab bars polished for ya! LOL
Kat

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have read back through several of your posts (just found your blog today) and you have 1)the most incredibly funny sense of humor and make reading a delight and 2) you are a quilter extraordinaire (is that French 'cause I'm trying to expand my vocabulary?. Your work is stunning and your Connor adorable. Blessings, marlene